1.24.2011

Staff Training

Whoa.
All I have to say is whoa.

To say that TeenPact is counter cultural is an understatement. But I love it. Our society doesn't expect much of our teenagers, not only that but our society has come to EXPECT nothing but low standards for our teenagers. She fights with her mom? Eh, she'a teenager. He's doing drugs? Eh, he's a teenager. The list goes on and on. The sad thing is this: what you expect...you get. So we expect nothing of our young adults, ok, now we get nothing from our young adults. That expectation has become the rule and an excuse for all teens to do absolutely nothing. We've become a generation stuck in bed. We do nothing.

TeenPact teaches Christian leadership. So as staff, much is expected of these teens (some as young as 14). Not only are we held to high standards, but these standards are expected to be met, if not exceeded. To me, it's extremely humbling to be put in such a position. It reveals all the areas in my life that I need to grow and improve. So when I say counter cultural...I mean it. We are held to a high standard and are taught to hold our peers to a high standard, as well as ourselves.
And that is just one aspect of TeenPact.
Staff training was eye-opening on so many levels. We were taught practical skills; we were challenged in our relationship with Christ. We're taught the importance of friendships: we're supposed to encourage each other constantly and keep each other accountable. And y'all, I was pushed...shoved...forced out of my comfort zone on so many occasions. It was good for me!
There's so much more, and if I were a very good writer...I would write for hours about TeenPact and it's mission:

The mission of TeenPact is to train youth to understand the political process, value their liberty, defend the Christian faith, and engage in the culture at a time in their lives when typically, they do not care about such things.

(that was from memory! if it's wrong...correct me. if any of my grammar is wrong...correct me. BUT I HAVE IT MEMORIZED! WOOHOOOO!!!!)

I actually did not take many pictures because we were just that busy. But here are a few:

Exciiited!
This is where I see God.
my cabin! love ya gals!
bill analysis
thank you.
true love
notes of encouragement on our backs...don't read until you've left!
on the way home

2 comments:

Giann said...

Glad you are back Whitney!! Looks and sounds like yawl had fun!!

Giann said...

I meant y'all...